The International Award for Young People owes its origin to The Duke of Edinburgh Award which started in 1956. IAYP is followed in the high school (Grade 9-12). In IBDP it complements the CAS programme. In Grade 9-10 the students can qualify for Bronze Award while in Grade 11 and 12 they can undertake Silver and Gold Award
The Programme has four sections designed to provide a balanced programme for personal development.
- Service – to learn how to give useful service to others
- Skills – to encourage the development of personal interests, creativity or practical skills
- Physical Recreation – to encourage participation in physical recreation and improvement of performance
- Adventurous Journey – to encourage a spirit of adventure and discovery whilst undertaking a journey in a group
There is also an additional requirement at Gold Award level:
- Residential Project – to broaden experience through involvement with others in a residential setting